Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chapter 4 Notes

Question: Lennie meets Crooks, also known as the nigger and on page 71, Crooks told Lennie that George went out to town and suppose he's never coming back. I wonder what was the purpose of Crooks to tell Lennie that? Did he really want to scare him or does he know something the reader doesn't?
When Curley's wife comes in to find her husband, she starts little arguments and the men obviously don't want her there. So when Crooks tries to tell her to get out of his room, Candy says on page 80, "You know what I can do if you open your trap?" Right after, Crooks gets pretty quiet and just obeys whatever Candy is saying to him. She says this comment, "I could get you strung up on a tree so easy it ain't even funny." What is she talking about here? And why does she have to talk to Crooks in such  rude way?

Prediction: Since Lennie has told Crooks about this wonderful journey that George, Lennie, and Candy are supposed to have; I think Crooks is going to escape with them.  I also believe that George might escape without anyone and just leave the others behind because in Chapter 4 he just went out to the city. He might end up just going on his own, because he is smart enough to venture in the world.

Connection: When Lennie tells Crooks about this life that him, George, and Candy are going to have but George didn't want him to tell anyone. This reminded me of when I told my brother that we were going to his college for a suprise visit when I wasn't supposed to tell him. When I get really excited about something, I tend to blurt it out especially if its a suprise for someone. Like Lennie, he gets excited pretty easily about tending to these rabbits so for me I get excited when I know I'm not supposed to tell someone something so it makes me want to tell them even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment